Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Week 9: A Wide World of Comics




I have owned the Persepolis book and the film for a couple years, and have read it many times. It is one of my favorite stories for its artistic and historical value. When I first read the book I was probably 16 or 17, and I remember not really understanding the political situation that was taking place. I wasn’t super interested in politics or even what had begun all the trouble in the Middle East (except 911 of course), or maybe I just didn’t know because I don’t think its really talked about here. I know that Iranians, Iraqis, and Afghans aren’t well understood by the general public in America. I think that’s what really gives Persepolis an edge. I knew nothing of their revolution or the struggle the people there face everyday. I can’t imagine being in such an unstable environment and watching everything good about my country and religion become a tool used to oppress people.

The other draw to Persepolis for me is Marjane’s journey to discover who she is and where she belongs. Its cool to see a kid be so passionate about politics, but its sad to see a kid who is sent away because their own country isn’t safe. Marjane is very funny and clever, and I loved reading about her little rebellions after she returned to the country. You always think that these people are devout and unwavering (or scared into being so) and I was surprised to see that they still had parties and dancing and had fun.

I’m really grateful that this book exists, and I think its important for people to read it.  It helps to educate people about a country that they may think very negatively of, but probably know nothing about. And what they will find is that they are just like us.

No comments:

Post a Comment