Monday, April 28, 2014

Week 12: Women in Comics




Women in comics! Yaaay! For me, I was always reading comics aimed at women and girls from the beginning. I read Archie for a long time, before discovering manga, and the kind I read was almost exclusively written and illustrated by women. Largely because of manga and webcomics, I grew up thinking that women in the comics industry were everywhere.

Eventually I discovered that a lot of mainstream comics (particularly Marvel, DC, and “classic” comics) here in the U.S were male-dominated. Walking through the aisles at the comic/gaming stores, its pretty obvious that these comics aren’t made with me in mind. I see a lot of covers that feature women in skin tight costumes and spine-breaking positions, ensuring that I never pick it up. When I open these kinds of comics, the few female characters that exist are stereotypes with no personalities, and seemingly exist as eye candy for male readers. Of course, not all comics by men are like this, but there is definitely an abundance that seem to try and exclude any other audience except for straight white males.

In my experience, comics made by women are more inclusive and sensitive to fact that many different types of people read comics and need to be represented.

This week I read Skim (for the twentieth time) and it remains one of my absolute favorites. I think it’s a great example of the strength writing in combination with pictures has. It helps that there’s a writer and artist team, and each is very talented in their own right. The story is great, I love the diary aspect of the writing. It explores some problems a lot of teenagers go through, but with some interesting elements. Falling in love with your teacher, fitting in at an all-girls school, getting sick of lame friends, and of course the super cool hobby of practicing Wicca.

Like we talked about in class, the day is fast approaching where “women in comics” won’t be a big deal, because we’ll have been integrated into the community for so long it’ll be like we were always there (and we were!).


No comments:

Post a Comment