Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Week 10: Manga and the Japanese Comics Tradition




Most of my friends are “normal” non-artists. They think the fact that I like anime/manga is weird, or any cartoons for that matter. Of course, they like Family Guy and The Simpsons, but God forbid they be caught watching any animation not specifically aimed at adults. In class someone asked why people in America frown upon anime/manga, and I think the basic reason is because its geeky, dorky, whatever. Someone pointed out that the reason could be a little racist, that the public at large isn’t keen on watching something foreign or in another language. I think that’s a good point too. But I think the stigma is generally that anime is watched by overweight, unwashed, socially awkward “fangirls” and “fanboys”.

The first anime I ever watched was Sailor Moon. My best friend in 2nd grade had a bunch of the movies on VHS, and we would watch them basically every time I was over. I had never seen cartoons like that. Everyone was so pretty and I wanted to wear their outfits, the cats were cute and Tuxedo Mask was a total hottie. Plus they had superpowers based on the planets. And they kicked ass. It wasn’t until 8th grade or so that I discovered manga. I had only read Archie comics up until then. 

This week I read Black Jack, and I loved it! It was so awesome. The stories were slightly creepy but you just had to find out what happens. I noticed that the stories were pretty universal, they could have been taking place anywhere, not just Japan. It was cool to see that style of art with dark stories, as well to just witness where the style originated in the first place.

I think manga is a gateway to comics for a lot of people. There are stories for everyone, no matter how strange or niche they are, and they are told in a huge variety of styles. I think that’s what makes Japanese comics so alluring.

No comments:

Post a Comment